Here's an easy recipe that's also quick to prepare.
I had to Google a bit to find out how tortillas are made, and I never knew I had the stuff to make them at home all along.
No need to buy tortillas from the store when you can make them with a few ingredients.
Flour tortilla ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup warm water
extra flour for dusting
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the vegetable oil and mash the mixture with your hands until it forms a mealy consistency.
2. Add a bit of water at a time, still using your hands to mix it completely and form into one dough ball. Cover the bowl with a wet dish towel and let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into smaller sections or balls and flatten each one using a rolling pin or your hands.
*** You can also prep the fish and the veggies while waiting for your flour tortilla dough to rest (as in step 2 above). On the right is how the flour tortillas looked after cooking. I was able to make four 7 inch pieces of tortillas with the above ratios.
The fish taco filling and the assembly is also quick and simple (8 minutes tops). The steps are below:
Fish taco filling ingredients:
500g cream dory or pangasius fillets
1 cup shredded green cabbage
1/2 medium red onion sliced thinly
some lemon juice or calamansi juice
salt and pepper
plain white yogurt
1. Season the fish with lemon juice and salt and pepper on one side. Lightly brush a non-stick pan with cooking oil and switch to high heat.
2. Pan sear the fish fillets while seasoning the other side with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cook each side for about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and prepare the garnish.
3. In a bowl, mix together the cabbage, red onions, a bit of lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
4. Assemble the fish tacos on the flour tortilla by layering first the veggies, topping with about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the fish, and drizzling with some yogurt and hot sauce to taste.
|Not bad for my first attempt at fish tacos and homemade flour tortillas! :-)|